During adolescence, teens are likely to be irritable and moody. However, certain signs can indicate a larger problem that just teen angst. If you notice these signs in your teen, they might be experiencing teen depression.
- a drop in grades or school performance
- frequent fights with family or friends
- persistent sadness or anxiety
- loss of interest in hobbies that they once enjoyed
- hopelessness about the future
If you think your teen might be experiencing these symptoms, there are a few steps you can take to help out.
- Calmly express your concerns to your teen
- Share your own struggles with them
- Teach them healthy habits
- Connect them with other supportive adults, such as counselors, coaches, etc.
These strategies are a good start for parents looking to help their teen dealing with depression. It is also a good idea to reach out to a mental health professional for assistance.
Click HERE for the full article on Psych Central.