A common misconception about attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder is that it doesn’t really exist, it’s a disorder made up by overly worried parents.
ADHD is a real disorder that can affect anyone at any age of any gender, race, ethnicity or economic status, it doesn’t alienate anyone, it can happen to you or me.
Here are some facts about the disorder;
- Almost 10% of children in the US have a attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder diagnosis.
- Girls are less likely to be diagnosed than boys.
- Testing to diagnose the disorder is rigorous and time consuming, the perception that doctors diagnoses too many kids with this disorder are simply not true.
- Most times those who have the disorder also have another mental disorder.
- ADHD is most likely caused by genetics, environmental factors or brain chemistry.
For the full list of facts from ADHD awareness month click HERE