If your friend is experiencing depression, you probably want to provide support but might not know how. Here are a few tips on how to provide support to a friend struggling with depression.
- Make time for them – Your friend might not be interested in doing activities that you normally do. Make time to be able to spend time with your friend in a way that’s comfortable for them.
- Remind them that you’re there for them – Your friend might not want to reach out for help so it’s important that you keep reminding them that you are there.
- Don’t be afraid to give them a hug – Physical contact can be intimidating, but even touching your friend on the shoulder and giving them a hug can provide comfort and warmth.
- Just be there and be yourself – People sometimes think supporting means counseling. You don’t have to be a therapist to support your friend with depression. Just be there and be yourself.
- Keep in touch and offer unconditional love – Depression is something that goes away quickly. Keep reaching out to your friend with love during this tough time.
Click HERE for more depression tips on The Mighty.