A panic attack can be a very frightening experience. Some people who have experienced panic attacks have explained that the fear comes from losing control of your mind and body. When someone is having a panic attack, they might experience the following symptoms:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath or hyperventilation
- Numbness or tingling sensations
- Feeling detached from surroundings
- Hot or cold flashes
- Feeling dizzy or light-headed
- Racing heart
- Fear of dying
The fear can often continue even after the panic attack is over because you might fear having another one, which creates even more anxiety. However, treatment for panic attacks can greatly reduce, or even eliminate, the symptoms mentioned above. Here are a few tips for dealing with panic attacks.
- Practice stress-relieving habits, such as yoga and meditation.
- Have a friend or family member who you can call when you think you might be about to have a panic attack.
- Seek help from a mental health professional.
Click HERE for more information about panic attacks on Greatist.